Everyone loves Potato chips! Unfortaneyl they are pretty unhealthy and eating too many is pretty bad for us. However, there is a solution if you have an air fryer! You can make your own super tasty and ultra healthy chips right at home. They are easy and quick to do as well!
It took us quite a bit of experimentation to get these right. We burnt a lot of potatoes but once we got it right…oh yes!
Now as we are trying to be healthy here we don’t want to be using any oil. We recently published a recipe for making chicken wings in the air fryer and the method we applied there is pretty similar to what we are going to do here. WeE are going to cook them slowly at a low temperature and then give them a final blast at high temperature to get them nice and crispy as chips should be.
This method allows us to get crispy food without burning stuff to a crisp or giving up the flavor.
- Potatoes (red seem to work really well)
- Seasonings/Salt of your choice
1. We need to slice our potatoes up really thinly. If you have one use a mandoline slicer. If you don’t have a mandoline slicer then consider getting one as they are ideal for making chips. Otherwise just use a knife for now. Cut the potatoes as thinly as you can, about 1.5 mm. Using a mandoline keeps all the chips even meaning they all cook the same. With a knife, you will get inconsistent results.
2. Next, soak the slices of potato in water with salt for half an hour. This helps get rid of starches and will make our chips much crunchier.
3. Take some paper towels and pat dry the potatoes.
4. Throw them in a bowl and toss them around with your choice of seasonings. Even just adding a coating of salt and pepper will produce delicious results.
5. Now we need to lay the potatoes in the air fryer. Layer them up as evenly as you can trying to keep overlapping to a minimum. Layer them no more than 4 layers deep.
6. Turn the air fryer on to 170 degrees for 20-25 minutes. Every few minutes turn the chips over or give the basket a quick shake. Cook until the potatoes are dry and no longer limp. Now turn the temperature up to 400 degrees F and cook for 5 minutes to make your chips nice and crispy.
You should now be eating some truly delicious homemade potato chips and they don’t come any healthier. We used absolutely no oil in this recipe so you can eat these without feeling guilty about it!
Let us know in the comments what you think of this recipe.
Here’s a nice video that uses a slightly different method for making chips.